An epic look at event planning for the 2017 #Emmys afterparty
The wait is over. The 2017 Emmy award winners have been announced.
The Handmaid’s Tale of nightmarish dystopia and drama won critical acclaim. The fashion magazines published their best dressed and worst dressed. (Will they ever stop?) Stephen Colbert made us laugh (a lot).
Records were broken, milestones were reached, and diversity was represented (its about damn time).
The awards show is over.
The lavish after party.
4,000 winners, nominees and guests zipped over to the Los Angeles Conventions Center for the Governors Ball, the largest television industry event of the year. The actors, producers, directors and others continue the celebration in a room larger than a football field transformed from floor to ceiling to channel the theme of the evening: “Golden Grandeur.”
The Governors Ball was produced by a catering company and event producer who have each done this at least 20 times before. Here is their ultimate insider preparation list.
Oh my, nearly 3 wine glasses are allotted per person!
2017 EMMY® AWARDS GOVERNORS BALL FUN FACTS
- 3 Balls: Creative Arts Governors Ball (Sept. 9 & 10) & Governors Ball (Sept. 17)
- 8,500 guests, place settings, champagne flutes
- 25,000 pieces of china, wine glasses
- 32,000 square feet of carpet
- 5,000 man hours to install and remove carpet
- 250 cooks in the kitchen each night
- 27 executive restaurant chefs on-site in the kitchen each night
- 50 bartenders each night
- 600 servers each night
- 22 years of Patina Catering
- 5 days of pre event prep off site
- 50 people crew per day of off site prep
- 22 Convection Ovens
- 16 Stoves with
- 64 Burners
- 150 Service Trays
- 128 Transit Cabinets
- 4,250 lbs. heirloom tomatoes
- 4,250 Dinosaur Heart plums
- 600 lbs. red quinoa
- 450 lbs. leeks
- 45 lbs. purple basil
- 3,200 lbs. filet mignon
- 8,500 fresh black mission figs
- 1,200 lbs. red flame grapes
- 1,800 lbs. asparagus
- 900 lbs. purple marble potatoes
- 1,800 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- 280 lbs. sustainable sea bass
- 180 lbs. Porcini mushrooms
- 100 lbs. Bloomsdale spinach
- 180 lbs. celery root
- 200 lbs. Alunga milk chocolate
- 110 lbs. Fleur De Cao dark chocolate
- 110 lbs. Zephyr white chocolate
- 500 lbs. Griotte cherries
- 80 lbs. dulce de leche
- 8,500 fennel buds
- 3 lbs. 24 karat gold leaf
- 60 lbs. sugar
- 20 years of event production by Sequoia Productions
- 5,000 paper tubes to create the ceiling installation
- 350 Guest Tables
- 4,000 Chairs
- 20,000 stems of large calla lilies and over 300 custom gold containers
- 2 floral designers for each centerpiece
- >7,500 yards of Gilt fabric for table covers
- >4,000 yards of additional fabrics for 8,500 napkins, bar and dessert areas
- >4,000 total hours of design and preparation to produce linens
- 1,200,000 pieces of gold glitter on the center stage
- 5,000 yards of fabric will cover the ceiling beams and truss structure
Ubeya uses web and mobile to automate scheduling, communication and workforce management for event businesses that manage staff.
Visit Ubeya for a free custom demo.